This post contains affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you, when you make a purchase. Please, read my affiliate disclaimer for more details.
Online tutoring can be a great side hustle for you to make money from the comfort of your home.
Unlike in the old days where you had to show up in a classroom and teach in-person, online tutoring platforms like VIPKid have made it possible for teachers to share their knowledge with others from home.
And this is all thanks to the rise of technology.
You just need a working computer, a reliable headset (Amazon has cost-effective laptops and headsets), a reliable internet connection, a webcam, and a positive attitude.
Most of these online tutoring jobs are perfect for teachers but even college students and work from home moms can apply.
Online teaching jobs are among the 20 best online jobs for college students.
A company like Magic Ears will offer you tutoring jobs without a degree and pays up to $26 per hour.
Online Tutoring Jobs from home
If you’ve been searching on Google for questions like:
- What is the best online tutoring website?
- How much do online tutors make?
- Can you make money tutoring online?
- What are the best online teaching jobs?
You don’t have to search anymore because all your questions will be answered today. I’m going to cover, in detail, about each tutoring company, teacher requirements and how much each company pays per hour.
best online tutoring jobs for teachers!
There are plenty of online tutoring companies that offer consistent work and pay well. You just have to start with the right ones that fit your background and skills.
1. Education First
Education First is an internationally recognized e-learning platform for all age groups and always has online tutoring jobs for teachers. Unlike other online teaching platforms like VIPKid that focus mainly on children, Education First has learning programs for kids and adults, as well.
This online tutoring platform is among the oldest and is very well respected in private language teaching. It was founded in 1965 in Lund, Sweden but has headquarters in Lucerne, Switzerland with regional offices in North and South America, Europe and Asia.
Education First Qualifications & Requirements
- Have a Bachelor’s Degree in any field
- Be a Native English speaker
- Have TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) certification or higher
- Get a working computer, fast internet connection and a pair of headsets (You can get these from Amazon)
- Great communication skills
- Be willing to do an online background check
Education First Payments
Online teachers working for Education First should expect to earn $12 to $20 per hour on average. That rate is calculated according to your qualifications and experience level. Payments are made on a monthly basis via PayPal.
How to Apply to Become an Education First Tutor
- Click this link then head over to their website.
- You will be taken to a section that says “apply”
- Type your full names and email address and any other required documents (like a resume) then hit the apply button.
- A representative will reach out to you via email to schedule a phone interview
- If you pass the interview, the on-boarding process will begin and a teacher account will be created for you.
- You can start teaching and earning money from the comfort of your home
Like Education First?
Click here to teach English from home and earn up to $20 per hour!
2. Teach English Online At VIPKid
VIPKid is an awesome online tutoring company headquartered in San Francisco and Beijing. Through a team of highly skilled teachers, VIPKid offers international education to Chinese students between ages 4 to 12.
To succeed in your job as a tutor, you will need to have a desktop computer or laptop complete with a camera, a headset, and a microphone. Don’t forget to get a stable internet connection.
VIPKid develops and delivers an English teaching curriculum via a platform that enables tutors to teach on a part-time or full-time basis.
The curriculum team at VIPKid prepares teaching materials for every class, and your work is to help students master English as a second language.
The company has strict application requirements, and you must have a bachelor’s degree for you to qualify.
VIPKid application requirements
To work for VIPKid as a tutor, you must pass through the following stages;
- Provide basic information
- Get interviewed
- Be introduced to teaching
- Practice teaching through a mock class
- Sign contract, upload documents and undergo a background check
- Become a full-fledged VIPKid teacher
At VIPKid, teacher payments are calculated per class and include incentives but on average you can make up to $22 per hour.
An individual’s demo class performance determines the minimum payment, while incentives depend on monthly participation in class.
Teachers receive payments between the 10th and 15th of every month through direct deposits.
Pros of Tutoring at VIPKid
- The biggest advantage of working for VIPKid is flexible hours.
- TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) certification is not mandatory.
- Company has an existing customer base.
- A curriculum is made available for tutors.
- It is a legitimate company, and one of the best online tutoring platforms.
Cons of Tutoring at VIPKid
- The company has a weak support system.
- Low pay and appraisals are challenging to come by.
- Referral earnings are not guaranteed.
QKids is a top online tutoring company that creates an opportunity for Chinese students aged between 4 years and 12 years to be taught by experienced English teachers from Northern America.
Presently, more than 500,000 students are profiting from these programs. The good news is that English is the medium of communication, and you do not have to know Chinese. The company offers a user-friendly online classroom that allows families to learn comfortably from their homes.
QKids has an elaborate application process that includes initial screening, two demo interviews, and a background check before you can be issued with a contract.
Qkids application requirements
To qualify for a job with QKids, you have to meet the following requirements;
- Eligible to work in the US or Canada
- Computer literacy and ability to take charge of an engaging learning environment
- Have teaching certifications preferably TESOL, TEFL, CELTA, and ESL
- Experience in teaching
- You need to have a college degree or be in the process of getting one
- Possess a computer with a stable internet connection, and clear audio/video capability
- You must be willing to put in 6 hours per week
After submitting your application, you can expect to hear from QKids within three business days to get further directions.
Teacher payment includes $ 8 for full lessons and $ 4 for any standby lessons. Also, you are eligible for bonuses including $ 1 incentive for every lesson done and determined by reviews by families and $1 for every lesson after teaching 15 lessons in a week.
Teachers are paid through bank transfers, and QKids shoulder the associated transfer fees. The 15th of every month makes the payment.
Pros of Tutoring at QKids
- Training is made available for tutors.
- You can do your work from wherever you are.
- It offers flexibility.
- Payment are good (ranging between $15 and $20 per hour).
- The company has friendly and supportive staff.
Cons of Tutoring at QKids
- It is limited to US and Canada residents.
- Classes are mostly conducted early in the morning.
- There is no guarantee for a fixed number of hours, and hence, it is only ideal as a side hustle.
SayABC delivers international education for Chinese children aged 5 – 12 years. The company is headquartered in Beijing and offers classes with the help of certified teachers. The goal of the company is to build confidence in every child by teaching them English.
The company is supported by Chinese investors based in China and the US. It is determined to bring high-quality learning to millions of young Chinese men and women.
SayABC application requirements
To join SayABC, you will be required to meet the following requirements;
- Be a native English speaker
- Have a computer with a reliable internet connection and support for audio/video features
- Have a bachelor’s degree or in the final year of study
- One year minimum teaching experience
- Hold certification in TEFL, TESOL, or other relevant qualifications.
SayABC application process
The application process to become a SayABC tutor comprises of four steps namely;
- Sign up through the SayABC website
- Get interviewed
- Sign agreement
- Orientation and evaluation class
Teachers at SayABC are presented with an opportunity to earn up to the tune of $19 for a class that lasts 40 minutes. This payment includes a basic pay of $15 and based on attendance record, an incentive of $6.
If you get a late notification to take up a class, usually less than 24 hours’ notice and you accept, $7 is added to your payment.
Teachers at SayABC receive their pay before the 15th of every month, and this is done through a wire transfer.
Pros of Teaching at SayABC
- Offers one of the best interactive online tutoring platforms.
- Teachers are hired from all over based on teaching ability regardless of race.
- Manageable class sizes of between 1 – 4 students.
- The company uses a USD pay scale that shields teachers from losing money due to inflation.
- Efficient and friendly customer support.
Cons of Teaching at SayABC
- Certain activities cause students to talk simultaneously, disrupting the learning process.
- New students are compelled to adjust and fit in a bigger class quickly.
- Tutors are required to complete lessons during the allocated class time.
- Teachers are forced to communicate with the help desk through Skype, and this slows down the communication process.
PalFish allows you to offer lessons to learners from different parts of the world using a mobile device while you earn. You get paid for chatting with learners using the PalFish application in English.
As a teacher at PalFish, you are required to put in at least 3.5 hours per week during Beijing peak hours (Monday-Sunday 6pm-9pm, and Saturday-Sunday 9am-10pm in Beijing time).
PalFish application requirements
To become a PalFish teacher, the following are needed;
- TEFL and TESOL certifications
- Experience in teaching kids
- Be a native English speaker from Australia, US, UK, Canada, Ireland, or New Zealand
- Online presence for at least 10 hours a week (between 6-9pm)
Teachers at PalFish get paid up to $22 per hour. Over and above the basic pay, you are also entitled to different bonuses. For example, you receive $45 when you refer a new teacher to PalFish.
Pros of Tutoring at PalFish
- The coursework is fun, interactive, and very colorful.
- Has an active support community.
- Ideal class size (one on one).
- Great flexibility; what you do depends on how much you choose to put in.
Cons of Tutoring at PalFish
- Sometimes there is delayed response from the support team.
- Though not a regular occurrence, the failure of the company’s app may be experienced.
- It uses a social media algorithm that can have a negative connotation for teachers who lack interest in social media.
6. Chegg Tutors
Formerly InstaEDU, Chegg Tutors is an online education platform that puts the needs of learners first and strives to offer quality learning services. It is headquartered in Santa Clara, California.
The primary goal of the company is to offer affordable higher education to many. The company matches students based on their specific needs with tutors who can help them.
Chegg is flexible and learners have the option of obtaining help whenever they need it through a scheduled lesson.
The company specializes in engineering, mathematics, accounting, and computer science, among many others. Learners are permitted to browse tutor profiles and schedule lessons with preferred tutors.
Chegg application requirements
To be accepted as Chegg tutor, your application should be accompanied by the following documents:
- Teaching certification
- A photo of your diploma qualification
- A letter of acceptance issued by your university registrar
- Your student ID card
- A screenshot of your college’s student portal homepage showing your student ID and full names used at the college
- Copies of your transcripts
- Enrollment verification from the national student clearinghouse
- Any other relevant documents indicating that you are presently enrolled or had at one time been enrolled to a four years university program
Chegg Tutors Payment
Tutors at Chegg get paid $20 per hour making the company one of the best paying. The payment offered is for time spent teaching a student or preparing a student’s lesson plan. The final amount is calculated based on the cumulative hours worked for a particular period.
Pros of Tutoring at CheggTutors
- You get to work from anywhere.
- Attractive pay for tutors ($20 per hour).
- Gives you a chance to plan your schedule.
- Easy approval process as long as you have the right qualifications.
- You have the freedom to tutor subjects you are good at.
- Additional income can be earned from referrals.
Cons of Tutoring at CheggTutors
- The application process is very competitive due to the high volume of tutors who use Chegg.
- Chances of work slowing down on certain days or times of the year are high.
- To remain competitive, you have to be recognized as a reliable and highly qualified tutor.
- Your reputation may be affected by students’ feedback.
- Tutors only have one chance to qualify. Reapplications are not welcome at Chegg.
7. Tutor ABC
TutorABC is a company that enables students from Asia to interact and learn from tutors across the world. They have a system that fosters online conversation and business English sessions 24/7.
TutorABC application requirements
To join the TutorABC community, you are expected to meet the following requirements;
- Be a holder of a bachelor’s degree or higher.
- Have TESOL or TEFL certification or an equivalent.
- Be an experienced teacher.
- Have a computer with a reliable internet connection.
At TutorABC teachers receive a basic pay coupled with a bonus that depends on the feedback from students. The money is wired to your account on the 10th of every month.
- Flexible schedule
- Freedom to work from home
- Lesson plans are readily available
- May delay in responding to questions
- Warnings are sent to consultants before considering customer complaints.
- Low pay
- Poor technical support
Cambly is another online tutoring company that creates an environment for students to hold conversations with teachers using an application installed on their smartphones. Students’ conversational skills are put to the test as they talk with native English speakers.
Cambly application requirements
To become a tutor with Cambly, the following are required;
- Be a native English speaker
- Have a computer with a webcam and a microphone to support video chat.
- Presence of a high-speed Internet connection.
Cambly has a unique system where teachers are paid per minute as they chat with learners. The company keeps track of your time and pays you for every minute you spend teaching online. As a tutor, you are paid weekly as long as your total earnings for the week amount to $20 and above.
- Allows tutors to interact with learners from different places in the world.
- Flexible scheduling and a great interview process
- Tutors get paid every week
- Unstable video chat interface that may drop the chat unexpectedly
- Teachers rating can also are likely to be affected by student feedback
- The app is a bit slow and also difficult to navigate
TutorVista offers live online one-on-one tutoring in various subjects, including math, physics, chemistry, and statistics. At TutorVista, learners can access high-quality, affordable services from anywhere across the globe.
TutorVista application requirements
Requirements to become a TutorVista teacher include;
- Hold a post-graduate degree in your subject area.
- Commit to work for at least 4 hours a day.
- Have a computer with a good internet connection.
- Be familiar with current technologies in the online tutoring space.
Teachers at TutorVista get paid between $9 and $25 an hour depending on their level of experience and subject area.
- You can work in a place that is convenient for you.
- Flexible schedule.
- Tutors receive a competitive package.
- Delayed response to customer complaints
- Poor technical support
- Cannot be trusted since some client claim they have been shortchanged and given a raw deal
GoFlurent offers a platform for international students to practice their business English skills. The goal of GoFluent is to provide learners and tutors with reliable technology for language learning. It has offices in the US, Canada, and the Philippines.
GoFluent application requirements
To be accepted as a tutor at GoFluent, you will need the following qualifications;
- Exceptional English communication skills
- Your native language has to be English
- Have a computer
- A reliable Internet access
Although GoFluent does not openly disclose what is paid to trainers, it is said that the pay is comparable to what other online tutoring jobs pay. Tutors get their pay once a month through direct deposits.
Pros of Tutoring at GoFluent
- Flexible schedule
- Creates an opportunity to interact with people from different parts of the world
- GoFluent offers beneficial training workshops
- It has a pleasant working atmosphere
Cons of Tutoring at GoFluent
- You cannot conduct lessons without a reliable internet connection
- No rewards or incentives for teachers
- Low pay
11. Verbal planet
Verbal Planet offers tutors an opportunity to teach foreign languages and get paid for it. The company provides online language teachers with free online tools to help them teach with ease. Students are taught language lessons via Skype.
Verbal Planet has employed over 2000 native-speaking language teachers around the world.
Verbal planet application requirements
- Experience teaching a foreign language
- Have a computer
- Have a reliable Internet connectivity
Verbal planet payment
Tutors at Verbal planet usually receive their payment through PayPal. The pay varies depending on the amount of work done.
Verbal Planet pros
- Flexible scheduling
- You can work from anywhere in the world.
- Prompt email correspondence from their accounting/payroll, immigration and marketing teams
Verbal Planet Cons
- It is difficult to reach the management
- They don’t have long term perks,
- They lack proper communication
Final thoughts on Online Tutoring Jobs
Online tutoring jobs are a great way to make money online. They have flexible working hours and can be done even on a part-time basis.
If you are a teacher or college student and need some extra cash, I would encourage you to go through this list of online tutoring companies and select a few to apply to today.
Like I mentioned earlier, some will require a degree and teaching experience but some won’t have those requirements.
Try your luck and see how it goes. Good luck!
Common Online Tutoring Jobs Certifications
TESOL – Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages
TEFL – Teaching English as a Foreign Langauge
CELTA – Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults
Have you done online tutoring or teaching? Know someone who has? I’d love to hear from you. Leave a comment below!
Liked this post? Pin It on Pinterest!
12 Best Online Tutoring Jobs for Teachers
Virginia Nakitari is a full-time blogger and a work from home expert. Join Virginia and 200,000 monthly readers on EarnSmartOnlineClass to learn how to make money online, even as a beginner. Before starting this blog, Virginia worked as a freelancer, specializing in general transcription and virtual assistance. Her wide clientele comprised of business coaches, podcasters, bloggers, and other online entrepreneurs. It’s through these interactions that Virginia developed a knack for writing and showing people how to work from home, make money online and attain financial freedom.