This post contains affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you, when you make a purchase. Please, read my affiliate disclaimer for more details.
Love kids and want a flexible way to supplement your income? You’re going to love this VIPKid review!
VIPKid is a trusted online teaching platform that can earn you up to $22 per hour.
In this detailed VIPKid review, I’m going to show you their requirements, application process, how much to expect, their teaching schedule and many more!
Read on to find out more!
What is VIPKid?
VIPKid is a reputable online teaching platform that connects English teachers from the US and Canada with young students in China.
They offer an American elementary education experience via video-conferencing (using webcams and headset). Each lesson lasts for 30 minutes. 25 minutes of active learning and 5 minutes for comments and feedback.
VIPKid also offers a flexible working environment with the potential to earn $2000 per month or more.
Is VIPKid Legit or Just a Scam?
VIPKid is a legit company that was founded by Cindy Mi in 2013 and is now ranked #1 in the Top 100 Companies for Remote Jobs of 2018 according to Forbes.
This web-based learning platform has been featured on Forbes, The Huffington Post, Los Angeles Times, Woman’s Day, WallStreet Journal among others!
They’ve received strategic partnerships from ETS, Tesol International Association, Coursera, JMF and many more! These top level brands have shown a keen interest in this fast growing company because of its excellence and thorough teaching standards.
This is a legit work from home teaching job that’s worth your time and I encourage you to join the VIPKid teaching community today. You’ll thank me later!
VIPKid Requirements: Do You Have What It Takes?
For you to qualify, you’ll need to meet the following VIPKid teacher requirements:
- Native English Speaker from United States or Canada, but you can teach from anywhere in the world.
- Have ESL teaching experience or its equivalent (mentoring/tutoring experience)
- Have a Bachelors Degree or its equivalent in any field
- Enjoy working with children between the ages of 4 to 12
Want more work from home jobs leads? Check out FlexJobs here!
VIPKid Technical Teaching Requirements
- A computer either a desktop or a laptop in good working condition with 4GB RAM Memory
- Stable Internet Connection of at least 20Mbps
- High quality headset
- A HD external Camera if you are using a desktop
- Latest version of Adobe Flash
- FireFox Version 47, Chrome Version 51 or higher
Met the VIPKid technical teaching requirements?
How Much Will You Earn at VIPKid?
You are an independent contractor, so you are paid on a per class basis. Your starting rate is $7 to $11 for 30 minutes of work, meaning you’ll make $14 to $22 per hour.
One of the things VIPKid looks at when deciding a rate is your demo class performance. Make sure you perform your best here.
VIPKid also has bonuses and incentives for teachers who show up on time, teach as per the schedule and teach the maximum number of classes in a given month.
The more bookings you get the more rewards you’ll get. Payments go out once a month (10th to 15th of each month) via direct bank deposit.
VIPKid Teaching Schedule
VIPKid has a very flexible working schedule. Only requirement is you have to teach during Beijing peak hours. You must be available for 7.5 hours per week and should enter your weekly availability one month in advance.
Tip: Always check your email and your schedule in the system so that you don’t miss a class. Favorable and peak hours are Monday through Friday at 6:00 to 10:00 pm and Saturday–Sunday, 9am to 10pm Beijing time.
How to Apply to Become a VIPKid Teacher
The application and interview process involves five stages. Let’s follow along to see what needs to be done.
Step 1: Fill the application form and submit your resume
To apply for this work from home position, go to VIPKid sign up page and enter your email address, a password and a verification code then hit the sign up button.
You will be required to submit your resume, educational certificates and any other relevant document. They use this step to check for basic requirements and see if you might be a good fit. So, make sure everything is in order.
After meeting the basic requirements, VIPKid will send you an email to allow you book a one-on-one interview.
Step 2: VIPKid One-on-One or Recorded Interview
Here, you have to book a one-on-one interview with the VIPKid recruiter. The interview lasts for 30 minutes max. They use this step to test your equipment and other technical requirements.
Tip: Enter the classroom an hour earlier to confirm that everything is working properly.
Alternatively, you can have a recorded interview (demo lesson) and send it to the VIPKid recruiter to evaluate your teaching skills.
Step 3: Initial Teacher Training
You will receive a series of videos that will help you understand the VIPKid curriculum, standards and the technology used. If there’s something you don’t understand , feel free to ask at this time.
Step 4: The Mock Class
You have to be really careful with this step because it determines how much you earn as a VIPKid teacher. I mentioned this earlier under how much to earn.
Here, you are required to teach a class just like you would a normal class. You get 25 minutes to showcase your skills and demonstrate how you would teach a 4 or a 6-year-old child in a way that he or she understands.
My advice: Don’t be shy. Speak with confidence. Be jovial and let the child connect with you. Don’t be too loud but be audible enough.
Look at the teaching materials and explain the content in the simplest way possible. Ensure you have enough lighting in the room.
Remember, you just have 25 minutes to showcase your teaching skills and experience. So, make it count!
Step 5: Signing the Contract & Uploading Documents
To me, the mock part is the hardest part. The rest is as easy as it gets. After you’ve proven your teaching abilities, it is time to sign the contract and upload the necessary documents to allow them create a teacher profile for you. This profile will help the parents get to know you and book your teaching services.
Step 6: Congratulations!
You’ve just completed your application and interview process and you are now ready to start doing what you love, which is teaching school kids. What’s left now is to fill in your time slots and let the company know your availability. VIPKid expects you to be available for a minimum of 7.5 hours per week.
VIPKid Teacher Testimonials
Success Tips for VIPKid Teachers
- Get a stable internet connection. The last thing you need is losing a connection while teaching a class. VIPKid recommends at least 20 Mbps.
- Get a room that has a clear background and proper lighting so the student can see you and connect with you.
- Go to YouTube and watch videos pertaining to VIPKid. There’s lots of amazing videos there that will help you get started the right way. I would encourage you to do this before you book an interview
- When presenting at your mock class, be as professional as possible and teach just as you would a normal class
- Make sure your resume is up-to-date and all information is included.
- Be cheerful, upbeat and excited to teach. Let your students connect with you so they look forward to getting lessons from you.
- Don’t forget to check out the Applicant’s Performance Indicators doc to understand what’s expected of you.
Teacher Stephanie has more VIPKid teaching tips and tricks. Click the video below to check them out!
Ready to teach English at VIPKid? Click here to sign up or find out more here!
As you have seen in this VIPKid review, you can get paid to teach English online to Chinese students from home. The VIPKid requirements aren’t that many. If you have a college degree in any field, you can start earning as soon as today!
Did you get a chance to teach English online at VIPKid or know someone who does? Leave a comment below!
Liked this post? Share it on Pinterest!
More Ways to Make Money from Home
- Take paid online surveys and make $3 to $50 per survey. Companies like Swagbucks and InboxDollars go as far as sending you a $5 sign up bonus. Survey panels I recommend are: Global Test Market, PineCone Research, VIP Voice, Earningstation, Harris Poll Online, Vindale Research and YouGov
- Join Fiverr and offer a variety of services. You can become a translator, a freelance writer, a transcriptionist or a grahic designer
- Start a blog. I started this blog a few months ago and I’m happy to report that it’s doing great. I have a step-by-step tutorial that shows you how to create a self-hosted blog on WordPress. Check it out here if you don’t know how to go about it. Additionally, I’m happy to recommend the following courses: Making Sense of Affiliate Marketing, Strategies Worth Sharing and Building a Framework: The Ultimate Blogging Handbook.
- Join cash back websites and get a percentage of your money back on products you purchase like groceries. eBates will send you a $10 bonus when you sign up. Click here to sign up and Receive your $10 bonus.