This post may contain affiliate links.
If you are looking for a way to supplement your income from home, I have good news for you. You can teach English at VIPKid and make up to $22 per hour.
VIPKid is a reputable company that’s currently looking for degree holders to teach English to young students in China. This is a flexible work-at-home job that requires 2 to 3 hours per day, and you get to set your own hours. You have the potential to earn $2000 per month or more.
I have a detailed review about VIPKid below. Keep reading to find out more!
Teach English Online with VIPKid
What is VIPKid?
VIPKid is a Beijing-based online education firm that connects Chinese students (aged 4- 12) with qualified ESL teachers in the US. They offer an American elementary education experience via video-conferencing (using webcams and headset). Each lesson lasts for 30 minutes. 25 minutes of active learning and 5 minutes for comments and feedback.
I can also add that VIPKID is a reputable web-based learning platform that has been featured on Forbes, The Huffington Post, Los Angeles Times, Woman’s Day, WallStreet Journal among others!
They’ve received strategic partnerships from ETS, Tesol International Association, Coursera, JMF and many more! These top level brands have shown a keen interest in this fast growing company because of its excellence and thorough teaching standards.
With this in mind, I can confidently tell you that this is a great work-at-home teaching job that’s worth your time. If you have ESL teaching experience, a degree in any field and 3 to 5 hours to spare per day, I would encourage you to join the VIPKid teaching community. It will be worth your time.
- How to Make An Extra $1,000 Online Without a Job
- Make Money From Home As A Bookkeeper
- How to Build a Six-Figure Blog with Michelle Schroeder-Gardner
VIPKid Teaching Requirements
For you to qualify as an English teacher at VIPKid, you need to meet the following requirements:
- Native English Speaker from United States or Canada, but you can teach from anywhere in the world.
- Have ESL teaching experience or its equivalent (mentoring/tutoring experience)
- Have a Bachelors Degree or its equivalent in any field
- Enjoy working with children between the ages of 4 to 12
Technical Teaching Requirements
- A computer either a desktop or a laptop in good working condition with 4GB RAM Memory
- Stable Internet Connection of at least 20Mbps
- High quality headset
- A HD external Camera if you are using a desktop
- Latest version of Adobe Flash
- FireFox Version 47, Chrome Version 51 or higher
Met the VIPKid English teaching requirements? Start the application process here!
Why Teach English At VIPKid
VIPKid Application & Interview Process
The application and interview process involves five stages. Let’s follow along to see what needs to be done.
Step 1: Fill the application form and submit your resume
To apply for this work from home position, go to this page and enter your email address, a password and a verification code then hit the sign up button. After that, you are required to submit your resume, educational certificates and any other relevant document. They’ll use this step to check for basic requirements and see if you might be a good fit. So, make sure everything is in order. After meeting the basic requirements, VIPKid will send you an email to allow you book an interview.
Step 2: VIPKid One-on-One or Recorded Interview
You are required to book a one-on-one interview with the VIPKid recruiter. The interview takes 30 minutes maximum. They’ll use this step to test your equipment and other technical requirements. So, enter the classroom an hour earlier to confirm that everything is working properly. Alternatively, you can have a recorded interview (demo lesson) and send it to the VIPKid recruiter to evaluate your teaching skills.
Step 3: Initial Teacher Training
You will receive a series of videos that will help you understand the VIPKid curriculum, standards and the technology used. If there’s something you don’t understand , feel free to ask at this time.
Step 4: The Mock Class
You have to be really careful with this step because it determines how much you earn as a VIPKid teacher. Here, you are required to teach a class just like you would a normal class. You get 25 minutes to showcase your skills and demonstrate how you would teach a 4 or a 6-year-old child in a way that he or she understands.
My advice: Don’t be shy. Speak with confidence. Be jovial and let the child connect with you. Don’t be too loud but be audible enough. Look at the teaching materials and explain the content in the simplest way possible. Ensure you have enough lighting in the room. Remember, you just have 25 minutes to showcase your teaching skills and experience. So, make it count!
Step 5: Signing the Contract & Uploading Documents
To me, the mock part is the hardest part. The rest is as easy as it gets. After you’ve proven your teaching abilities, it is time to sign the contract and upload the necessary documents to allow them create a teacher profile for you. This profile will help the parents get to know you and book your teaching services.
Step 6: Congratulations!
You’ve just completed your application and interview process and you are now ready to start doing what you love, which is teaching school kids. What’s left now is to fill in your time slots and let the company know your availability. VIPKid expects you to be available for a minimum of 7.5 hours per week.
Get Paid to Teach English at VIPKid
How Much VIPKid Pays & Their Payment Schedules
You are an independent contractor, so you are paid on a per class basis. Your starting rate is $7 to $11 for 30 minutes of work. So, your hourly rate is $14 to $22 per hour. Just like I mentioned earlier, your demo class performance determines hour much you get paid.
They have bonuses and incentives when you show up on time, teach as per the schedule and the number of classes you teach in a given month. The more bookings you get the more rewards you’ll get. Payments go out once a month (10th to 15th of each month) via direct bank deposit.
VIPKid Teaching Schedule
This is a flexible work-at-home job. The only condition is you are required to teach during Beijing peak hours and must be available for 7.5 hours per week. You have to enter your weekly availability one month in advance.
Tip: Always check your email and your schedule in the system so that you don’t miss a class. Favorable and peak hours are Monday through Friday at 6 to 10 pm and Saturday–Sunday, 9am to 10pm Beijing time.
VIPKid Teacher Testimonials
Success Tips to Help You Teach Better At VIPKid
- Get a stable internet connection. The last thing you need is losing a connection while teaching a class. VIPKid recommends at least 20 Mbps.
- Get a room that has a clear background and proper lighting so the student can see you and connect with you.
- Go to YouTube and watch videos pertaining to VIPKid. There’s lots of amazing videos there that will help you get started the right way. I would encourage you to do this before you book an interview
- When presenting at your mock class, be as professional as possible and teach just as you would a normal class
- Make sure your resume is up-to-date and all information is included.
- Be cheerful, upbeat and excited to teach. Let your students connect with you so they look forward to getting lessons from you.
- Don’t forget to check out the Applicant’s Performance Indicators doc to understand what’s expected of you.
Ready to teach English at VIPKid? Click here to sign up or find out more!
Did you get a chance to teach English at VIPKid or know someone who did? Leave a comment below!
Looking for more ways to make money from home?
- Take paid online surveys and make $3 to $50 per survey. Companies like Swagbucks and InboxDollars go as far as sending you a $5 sign up bonus. Survey panels I recommend are: Global Test Market, PineCone Research, VIP Voice, Earningstation, Harris Poll Online, Vindale Research and YouGov
- Join Fiverr and offer a variety of services. You can become a translator, a freelance writer, a transcriptionist or a grahic designer
- Start a blog. I started this blog a few months ago and I’m happy to report that it’s doing great. I have a step-by-step tutorial that shows you how to create a self-hosted blog on WordPress. Check it out here if you don’t know how to go about it. Additionally, I’m happy to recommend the following courses: Making Sense of Affiliate Marketing, Strategies Worth Sharing and Building a Framework: The Ultimate Blogging Handbook.
- Join cash back websites and get a percentage of your money back on products you purchase like groceries. eBates will send you a $10 bonus when you sign up. Click here to sign up and Receive your $10 bonus.